Thursday October 31, 2019
I’ve added a new core value to my top 5 core values…ADVENTURE! I just can’t love my life without it. Most financial advisors will ask you for your top five core values to find out what truly motivates you and to determine what you care most deeply about that way they can help you plan for the future and use money as a tool to help you reach your goals that align with your values. These are my top 5 vlaues:
1. HEALTH–If you have ever been sick or have had a chronic illness you know how important this is. To me this is the foundation of life, because if you’re not healthy and feel good, how do you truely enjoy life?
2. ADVENTURE–This what makes me tick! It gets my blood pumping, heart racing and giddy with excitement. It makes me set goals and smile big when I achieve them.
3. FREEDOM–I long for the day when I take a leap of faith and cut the strings that hold me to a job that I stay at for years on end. I am looking forward to the time when I can just work a few months out of the year and be free to do what I like the rest of the time. But fear is a bitch and has keep me rooted to this spot. What is fear? When I take a look at it, it is nothing more than the lies I tell myself because of my insecurities. Maybe if I just ask myself “what do I have to lose?” I will realise it’s not nearly as much as I have to gain, if it’s anything at all.
4. HAPPINESS–The joy when everything comes together, to feel greatful and blessed for all the wealth in my life. Doing the things that inspire me and make me feel energized.
5. SECURITY–The rainy day funds to back me up when thing don’t go according to plan or for challanges along the way, are taking longer to build up than I would like. But every day is one day closer to my goal. Even thought I don’t know what that goal (money needed for 6 mos of travel) currently is. Oh and the 401K for the end of life is far from ideal and definetly won’t support me at this time in my life, but I continue to add to it for the future. I wish I had the knowledge to start much earlier than I did. I believe this is something that should be tought at a very early age in schools amoung other things, but isn’t.
My Mom has rented a house in Franklin, NC for a few months this fall. I have planned a couple of trips up to do some hiking. The first trip, this weekend is just for a long weekend. The weather is a complete mix of freezing cold, rainy, foggy with some beautiful sunny days. I wanted to make a couple of stops on the way up to see some waterfalls, but there was all day rain forcasted. When we were close to the first turn off for one of the waterfalls I wanted to hike to I looked at Jim and asked him if he would be willing to do a hike in the rain. It was only a very light misty rain. He agreed so off we went.
There is just something about rain that adds to the adventure. I wanted to stop on my way up to see Mom at a couple of waterfalls. The weather forecast was calling for over an inch of rain today so I didn’t think we would he able to do any of the stops I had planned. But as we were traveling (not just me and Berkley…Jim is with me this time) the rain was just a light mist.
Shortly after turning off the main highway we were on a dirt road. I think I have been down more dirt roads in the van (by the way, her name is Vandy) than I ever was in my car. Most waterfall hikes seem to involve a dirt road.
The hike to Minnehaha Falls was short (.2 mi) and was we were starting our hike there was another couple and their two dogs sightly behind us. We aren’t the only crazies out here.
It was a short but pretty hike up. Lots of beautifully colored leaves covering the trail and the rain ramained misty UNTIL we reached the top and it started to rain harder. We took a few pictures and headed back to Vandy.
The falls were beautiful and had plenty of water flowing since they have had so much rain lately. I was really glad we didn’t skip this one.
I’m not sure Jim enjoyed it. I think he just endures it for me.
The tempertures dropped fast this evening and we soon had a fire in the fireplace. The low tempertures for the whole weekend are 27-30 degrees. Much colder then Jim and I would like to see, but it is nice to have an evening and early morning fire in the fireplace.
Friday November 1, 2019
Today we were off to Gorges State Park to see Bear Wallow Falls and Rainbow Falls.
Saturday November 2, 2019
This morning was supper foggy and plenty cold. We went into downtown to walk the shops and stop at a local brewery called the Lazy Hiker. We also walked the local river walk for a couple of miles so I could get some type of exercise fix for the day.