Days 1-4


Day 1 August 14, 2016

We started the trail at 9:30 am after a 3 hour drive from Aunt Julie’s house to the trailhead in MA. We followed the AT for almost 4 miles to get to the beginning of the Long Trail on the VT/MA border.


Aunt Julie and I made my cousin Garett lead so we could avoid most of the cob webs. We had a lot of elevation to climb up and it was a pretty hot and humid day. We were soon sweating and starting to acquire our hike smell.

We finished the day with 13.5 miles at 6 pm. Unfortunate Garett  was having some serious IT band issues so he planned to get off the trail the next day, since he had a cross fit competition coming up soon and didn’t want to do any more damage to his knee.

This rock scramble was at the beginning of the hike and this is the easy section of the Long Trail. You can zoom in to see Garett at the top waiting for us to catch up.
Vermont is called “Vermud” by most hikers and on the first day it didn’t disappoint. Checkout this mess.


Day 2 August 16, 2016
We hoped to be out of camp early this morning because we were trying to beat some rain that was forecasted for later this afternoon, but it ended up being a later start than planned. We finely managed to get on the trail at 6:45am, 45 minutes later than we planned.

I had my first accident today. Somehow I managed to wack myself in the knee with my trekking pole. I even managed to break the skin and it swelled a bit. I am doing better with using them, but some times I manage to trip myself up with them or bang my shines and knees with them.


Today ended up being a really wet day. We found lots of mud before the rain had even started. The trail actually had water following down it!!!

This is how thing are looking BEFORE the rain!!!

The rain hit about 3 hours before we arrived at the shelter, and since it was a pretty warm day I just used my umbrella for the first time. It worked really well, I just attached it to the strap on my backpack so I could still us my trekking poles. With the rain the trail was really a river and since my shoes were wet from the rain I was no longer worried about trying to keep them dry.

We arrived at the shelter at 4pm, wet and muddy after a 14 mile day. The shelter was at the top of a mountain and it looked like we were in the clouds the fog was so heavy. As I was laying in my sleeping bag in the shelter I could see the fog being blown into the shelter by the heavy winds.


Day 3 August 17, 2016
We awoke to a very nasty morning. It was super windy with intermittent rain. So we were in no rush to start the day. Plus I was not looking forward to putting on my wet socks and shoes. Let me tell you it is not something I care to repeat. Cold wet muddy socks and shoes are definitely a low point for me.

Julie and I stayed in the shelter last night since it was such nasty weather and we were packed in like sardines. My sleeping bag is the green one and I am packed in between Julie on my left on Crispy (a 17ish high schooler) on my right. Crispy was a very wiggley sleeper. He was partially on my sleeping pad in the morning.

We finely left the shelter at 8:45am in full rain gear and we soon found more mud and rain. The rain was light and didn’t last for long, but the mud lasted the whole day.

I had my first fall today. Slipping on some mud. Luckily I fell on the side of the trail and not in the mud. I was not hurt. I just added a little more mud to my trail outfit.

I came up with the brilliant idea to use some doggie poop bag to cover my dry socks while I was walking around in camp, since my shoes are still wet. It kinda sounded like I was wearing a diaper.

We arrived at out camp at 3pm after a 9 mile day. I was really having an issue with one of my toes today. I have been tapeing it , but I still may have gotten a blister. It is really hard for me to tell. I do know that it is sore to walk on. It is on the bottom of  my big toe and to compensate I have been walking on the out side of my foot, trying to avoid putting weight on it. I will tape again tomorrow and hope for the best.


Day 4 August 18, 2016
OMG today was a glorious! I got to put on dry socks and mostly dry shoes this morning!!  The simplest things mean so much out here. Plus we had awesome weather for most of the day.

We planned to get an early start this morning- but were 45 minutes late leaving, but still finished up the day at 2:30 pm. It was an 11 mile day and  terrain was easier than we’ve had the last few days.


I tried to pop what I thought was a blister on my big toe, but after breaking the skin nothing can out so I am not sure if it was a blister out not. The area was not raised like a blister, but it looked like something was going on and it felt like something was going on, but I truly don’t know for sure. I do know that it did feel better today.

This is Stratton Mountain.

On top of Stratton Mountain there was a fire tower and I was going to try to go up to the first landing to see if I could get a view from there, but it was not meant to be. I was only able to see the tops of the trees. My fear of highs kicked in so this was it for me.  I even had a hard time getting down from there so I was glad I didn’t go any higher. As it was I still had to sit down on the top step of the landing to take my first step down, then I was able to walk down the rest of the steps normal.

Julie and I are both looking forward to getting into town tomorrow. We are both ready to take showers and do laundry. I have been wearing the same clothes for the past 4 days. So my body odor is pretty strong. I do wash up every night with a wet bandanna and wet wipes, but…

View of Stratton Mountain in the rain.

2 thoughts on “Days 1-4

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s